Sharing Tiscali Broadband over two networked PCs

Jonty-comp 14:31 21 Dec 05

I have recently got Tiscali Broadband, which comes with a SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL modem, which I plug into my main PC. I also have another PC, which is liked to the main one by means of a CAT-5 Crossover cable. Both computers have the same NICs, and they can access each other's files, but I can't get the second PC to pick up the main PC's Broadband connection. I have enabled Internet Connection Sharing on the Broadband connection (Which is listed as a Dial-Up connection, but still runs at 1Mbps - Is this right?) and the other computer is set up to use another computer's connection.

Both computers run Windows XP Pro and have had the Home Network Setup Wizard run on them correctly.
The main PC has ZoneAlarm free edition and both PCs have AVG Anti-Virus v7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stuartli 15:47 21 Dec 05

A BB connection is a DialUp connection and can be configured in the same way as dialup using DUN - the only difference is that you select ADSL instead of a normal phone line.

Ivor_Monkey 17:26 21 Dec 05

I suspect your problem is caused by ZA. Firewalls can do odd things when setting up a network, esp ZA. Disable ZA or uninstall and test.

mgmcc 09:13 22 Dec 05

In Zone Alarm -

(1) click the Firewall tab on the left and then the Zones tab at the top. Click the "Add" button and select "Subnet". Enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click "OK" and then in the main window click "Apply"

(2) in the *Host* PC, click the Firewall tab on the left and then the Main tab at the top. Reduce the "Internet Zone Security" level from High to Medium, otherwise Internet Connection Sharing traffic will be blocked.

Jonty-comp 19:10 23 Dec 05

Thanks for your help everyone, it works now! It was ZoneAlarm that was blocking it- there was an entry called 'Local Area Network' but it was to High security.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…