Sharing and security

loopyloo 18:51 22 May 06

I have a laptop and desktop computer and I want to share folders between both computers. I have right clicked on the folder gone through the wizard on both computers. On the desktop it shows the laptop folder I have shared but the following message appears when I try and open it. "File not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network source. Contact admin of this server to find out if you have access permission. The network is not found." Can someone help. Also it shows nothing on the laptop. in network places. Please can someone give me easy to follow instructions.

ade.h 19:36 22 May 06

Firewalls again!!!

This is expected behaviour rather than an error as such, but it's down to you to configure your client firewalls to allow two-way access across the LAN for all clients. As that process is unique to each type of firewall, I cannot advise you in any more detail.

loopyloo 14:45 23 May 06

Your right. It is the firewall because when I close down Zonealarm I can see the folders on both computers. The only thing is that I don't know how to configure it. Any help would be appreciated.

ade.h 15:15 23 May 06

I don't use ZA, so I can't advise you about that. I tried it once, but I'm not a fan of it.

loopyloo 15:36 23 May 06

Hi ade.h can you advise me of a free one which is easy to configure.

ade.h 17:26 23 May 06

I always use Kerio, which is, in my opinion, pretty straightforward while being very tweakable.

It really depends whether you feel that a switch will be worthwhile; whichever firewall you use, it's very important to know it inside out. You may be happy to learn ZA, but then you may find that you want something that takes you a bit further. Up to you really.

click here if you want to give it a go. If you try it, be sure to choose Advanced Mode during installation.

ade.h 17:37 23 May 06

Oh, and it is a free version by the way.

loopyloo 18:40 23 May 06

Thank's I will try it and see what happens and post a reply on how I got on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…