Sharing scanner across network

steven_frost 12:08 26 Oct 03

ok i have the scanner on the desk top and my girlfriend logs in on her laptop can the scanner be shared across the the network so she can use in on her laptop i'm running win XP Pro and so is she

First you need to setup what is called 'Netbuei' which is a protocol setting in 'neibourhood network' if you have not already done so...

After this you have to retrieve the folder which contains the scanner software & drivers, in the C:/program files directory, and by right clicking on the scanner folder, choose sharing to enable your friend to share your scanner resources...

Good luck

wee eddie 17:31 26 Oct 03

To use a scanner - you have to stand beside it and place the object to be scanned on what I believe is called the "platen". You then use your computer to adjust the settings and instruct the scanner to go ahead.

The a file is created on the operating PC. This can be shared in the same way as any other file.

Of course, she could just place her laptop next to the scanner

steven_frost 17:38 26 Oct 03

she wants to be able to scan objets straight into her laptop as she is a teacher and uses the files in school so wants to be able to scan direct into her laptop

mark500 17:42 26 Oct 03

Scanner drivers are too low level to support networking I believe!

spikeychris 17:55 26 Oct 03

Fraid I'll have to disagree with J. van Dongen. Essex, re: Netbuei. First of all its an outdated protocol thats not needed any more and its a pig to install in XP. You have to run the installation CD and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder. You then have to
Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory. Then
Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

Plus installing this protocol will not allow scanner sharing.

Networking a scanner isn't as useful as networking a printer, because
someone must be physically present at the scanner to operate it. A
common solution is to create a shared folder on the computer that's
connected to the scanner. You can store scanned files in that folder
and access them from other computers on the network.

DieSse 17:58 26 Oct 03

I've never met a scanner that can be shared across a network.

However, there should be nothing to stop you saving a scanned document drectly to a networked folder or drive on another system - which should give you just what you want.

In fact it would be easier in prctice - you sit at the system with the scanner, so you can feed in the documents at the system you're working on, and simply save to the laptop.

steven_frost 17:59 26 Oct 03

i think the answer to the whole question is no it cant be done

Qmar 18:18 26 Oct 03

can you re-phrase your problem and the exact postion u both are in? (imagine you are a teacher talking to a 10 year old- ;) LOL).. are you wanting remote control over the net?- then u need broadband really... anyway XP can do this.

wee eddie 19:33 26 Oct 03

Of course she can share the documents you have scanned.

no she cannot operate a scanner via a network. whilst it might be possible to adjust the settings over the network, a third party is required to place the document to be scanned in the scanner!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…