Sharing Printer - Files etc

PO79 17:52 09 Jun 08

Okay so I'm new to this networking thingy. My set up is;

Desktop connected to web via belkin modem\router wireless, but connected via cable, with USB printer

Laptop connected via built in wi-fi through router

All work with no problems. My question is how do I get to print to the printer from the laptop, and how can I see files on one machine on the other.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you

BurrWalnut 18:55 09 Jun 08

Firstly put all the computers in the same workgroup then, secondly, choose the folders on each machine that are to be shared. Repeat this on all PCs, use the same workgroup name but, of course, a different computer name for each of your computers.

ADD A COMPUTER TO WORKGROUP
Add an XP computer to a workgroup by right-clicking My Computer > Properties > Computer Name and change the default Workgroup Name to something more meaningful in your household, also make the Computer Name recognisable, e.g. MainPC or IBMPC. The computer should reboot.

SHARE FOLDERS
To share a folder, right-click it and select Sharing & Security > Sharing Tab > Share this… and optionally, Allow Network users to….. You only need to share the highest level folder, e.g. not every sub-folder. A little hand should appear under those that are shared. Alternatively, drag the folders you want to share to the Shared Documents folder.

SHARE PRINTER
On the machine that the printer is connected to, go to Control Panel > Printers & Faxes, right-click the printer, click Sharing, check ‘Share this printer’. On the other machine go to Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > Add printer and follow the wizard. Bear in mind that the printer and the PC that it’s connected to must be switched on, unless you have a ‘proper’ wireless printer/adapter.

GENERAL
Windows firewall is normally set to allow file and printer sharing but if you have a third-party firewall make sure file and printer sharing is enabled so that each machine can talk to the other.

To see or copy files, click Start > My Network Places and the computers/folders/files should appear. Using Windows Explorer drag them from one PC to the other.

PO79 19:00 09 Jun 08

Thanks a bunch, I will attempt this tonight sometime and post back if I encounter any problems.

PO79 11:19 10 Jun 08

Thanks again for your excellent advice. I followed your brilliant instructions, and I am now fully networked with file and printer sharing. Thanks again.

Best regards

PO79

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac