sharing printer, can i print w/out both pcs on?

I managed to set up my printer so I can share it with my laptop. But it appears that the desktop needs to be on in order for me to print from laptop. Is there a way around that,or do I just have to turn both pc's on everytime?

Simsy 22:31 08 Mar 08

that the printer is connected to the desktop, then yes, the desktop needs to be on to print from the laptop.

It is possible to get kit such that the printerand both commputers are connected to a router. In this instance both computers do not need to be on. However, this is beyond my experience/expertise.

Given that the laptop is portable, might it not be a better solution to have a long enough lead to connect the printer direct to th elaptop?

Regards,

Simsy

Ashrich 22:33 08 Mar 08

The only other way is to use a print server attached to a router via ethernet , otherwise the PC with the printer has to be running . Something like this ....click here .

Ashley

hastelloy 11:12 09 Mar 08

which allows me to connect up to 4 PC's (or laptops) to up to 4 USB devices. You could use click here

Thanks again for all the suggestions, been helpful. Appreciate the help you guys, have a good one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017