Sharing a Printer

Nuneatonian 22:18 07 Apr 11

Hi all
I have a problem with sharing my usb connected printer with two windows 7 laptops via wi fi
I have clicked on the share section. But when they try to add printer or browse They cannot find my printer. When they try to link up with my desktop a username and password box comes up to access my computer. What does this mean my computer name and password, the later I cannot remember if I had one, or does it mean the details regarding the router. I have Vista. I just cannot fathom it out. We are in a workgroup and share internet connection.

thanks

mammak 23:16 07 Apr 11

Sounds like you have password protected sharing turned on!
If this so it can easily be turned off in Network and sharing center on the Vista machine.
For the two wireless Win7 laptops to find the printer, they must first have the appropriate driver installed.
Hope this helps.

Taff™ 08:06 08 Apr 11

Windows 7 has what is called a "Homegroup" which is not quite the same as the XP Workgroup. click here

Basically when one W7 computer creates a Homegroup it automatically creates a random password - this sounds like what you`ve experienced. You can retrieve the password from the "Master" machine to make it work for the second W7 machine.

Personally I prefer the manual setup creating a "Workgroup" similar to the way XP did. Homegroups as far as I can fathom out will only work with W7 so if you have XP or Vista machines as well it`s no good.

Woolwell 11:53 08 Apr 11

On my Vista laptop when I connect wirelessly to my Vista desktop to use the USB printer connected to the desktop I get a popup window asking for name and password. This is identical to the username and password that I use to open my account when starting desktop up.

Are you logged in as an administrator?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac