Sharing Printer

folsom 14:28 02 Mar 11

I have followed all the instructions re sharing printer from PC to Laptop, but still can't get the laptop to "see" printer on wireless network. It works ok from main PC which is ethernet connected.

Do I have to do anything with the router set up in order for the printer to work from the laptop.

Both the main PC and the laptop are running XP.

Thank you

chub_tor 14:43 02 Mar 11

Wireless printers will ask you somewhere in the Setup Procedure to enter the security key for your wireless network. If you tell us which make and model your wireless printer is we may be able to find the manual and tell you where to look.

folsom 15:00 02 Mar 11

Sorry chub_tor, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, the printer is not Wireless, but the laptop connects to the router wirelessly.

The printer is a Dell Photo 926 which I have had for some time and up until recently, when the router was changed, I could print from without a problem, hence my question about having to do something with the router.

KremmenUK 15:20 02 Mar 11

You will need to go into the 'sharing' area of your PC and enable 'Printer Sharing' on the PC the printer is attached to.

Once complete the wireless PC should be able to see the printer via the PC the printer is physically connected to and this PC will obviously need to be on when required.

depending on your AV package you may also need to allow each PC to see the other one.

folsom 15:29 02 Mar 11

KremmenUK,

The pc connected to the printer is sharing enabled, in ZA firewall I have allowed each one to connect but still no joy.

You mention AV, is there something I need do with that.?

Thanks

Terry Brown 15:36 02 Mar 11

the problem is possibly the new router is on a diffeent 'channel' from the old one and you need to reset the connections.

From control panel, go to Network setup wizard.

You will need a blank usb stick (or a floppy disk).

Run the wizard and the program generated add to the other computer, and re-boot, then go back to the first computer and run the stick (disk).

Do not forget to actived printer sharing on both computers.

Terry

folsom 16:02 02 Mar 11

Terry,

Tried all what you said still no joy. Totally lost now, just can't figure it out.

chub_tor 18:44 02 Mar 11

What OS do you have on the laptop and the PC?

chub_tor 18:46 02 Mar 11

Should have added, can you share files between the laptop and the PC so is this more than a printer sharing on the network problem?

folsom 17:18 03 Mar 11

Dont know what I did, but now working fine ...

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced