Sharing Printer

Kaacee 21:14 20 Jan 07

I have a desktop PC running Win 2000 and connected to wireless router via ethernet and thence via wireless to laptop running xp home.
I want to share HP printer that is connected via USB to desktop with the laptop. I have researched several articles in this forum but none of them refer to win 2000 just XP.

Can anyone tell me....is it possible to share my printer with the present configuration i have?

Thanks for any advise offered

Strawballs 21:22 20 Jan 07

We use 200 at work you can still get to printers and faxes through control panel right click on the printer and select shareing then go to printers and faxes on the laptop and click on add printer choose network printer select browse and navigate to the printer on the desk top.

If you have a firewall on the desk top make sure it will allow your network traffic

Kaacee 21:29 20 Jan 07

Thanks for that Strawballs, but when i go to the control panel and select sharing it tells me that if it is shared with users running different versions of Windows i need to install additional drivers, when i select this XP is not listed !!!!

Kaacee 21:31 20 Jan 07

I should have added that the Intel Win 2000 drivers are ticked as installed

Strawballs 21:35 20 Jan 07

XP will take the drivers it needs from the 2000 machine XP was base on 2000 that warning is for users of 9x or ME.

woodchip 21:41 20 Jan 07

Yes all you need to do is start both computers and the printer, on the XP Laptop go to Control Panel\ Network Wizard run the Wizard and fill in as needed create a floppy or use a USB flash drive etc one that you can use on the other comp. I used a Floppy disc. After you have run the network wizard put the floppy in the other comp and double click on the file on the floppy disc. That should sort it for printing, You may have to load the printer on the Laptop, Only drivers, but it should work without unless it's a laser like my text printer

Kaacee 13:05 21 Jan 07

Still no luck...tried both suggested solutions and managed to use a USB flash drive to run the Wizard, however when i then ran this on my desktop i got the following: the network setup wizard is only supported on Win 98..98se..ME and XP !!!!!!totally baffled now.....

Kaacee 16:55 22 Jan 07

Having trawled through page after page of advise re sharing printer, i still am unable to make the connection, most of the help deals with XP to XP, whilst my problem involves 2000 (desktop with printer connected) and XP (laptop wireless connected) Can anyone point me in the direction of a good easy to understand method of printer sharing instructions with the set up i have.

I would be eternally grateful for this.

Strawballs 09:56 23 Jan 07

click here Try this.

Kaacee 11:21 23 Jan 07

thanks strawballs....tried that but still no joy...made slight progress in that the laptop is now seeing the desktop printer, but when i select this it then asks for a printer name, i assume this means the name i gave to it when ticking the sharing box on the desktop? i enter this but it then says it is incorrect or i have spelt it wrong etc.etc.....

totally lost.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…