Sharing Printer

Farleyjim 20:39 12 May 06

I have just bought a new computer for my wife(Pentium 4 XP Home) and have almost successfully networked mine and hers with a Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Router.
I say almost because although we can both access the internet and e-mail, I cannot get her PC to print. What it does when I tell it to print is just puts the print job in the print queue on my computer and I cannot get it to print at all. I have both PCs turned on. Could it be because I have an ancient printer(Epson Stylus Color 760)? The printer is showing up OK on both PCs in the "printers and faxes" on the Control Panel.
Any ideas please?

Caså 20:56 12 May 06

Have you shared the printer on old pc & told new pc where printer is?

The Spires 20:59 12 May 06

As Caså says, go into Start Menu/Printers, right click your printer & go to sharing.

Farleyjim 21:04 12 May 06

Yes, I've done that OK. As I said, the print instruction comes up on MY PC so it would appear that it is sending instructions to the right place. It just gets stuck in my machine and joins the print queue.

woodchip 21:11 12 May 06

In XP for networking create a Network floppy when the wizard ask you to, this will see the printers if they are switched on when you use the floppy on other computers to setup the network and it will enable it as shared. But the computer that the printer is connected to, as to be left switched on if you want to print to printer. Just turn the monitor of to save gas

Farleyjim 21:21 12 May 06

I did make a floppy network disk when I first installed the router and both PCs tell me that they are sharing the same printer. In fact, everything seems to be in order except that I cannot print!! Pretty frustrating. I don't think I'm doing anything stupid but who knows!

woodchip 21:24 12 May 06

To check, go to start\settings\printers check the printer as got the blue share mark

Farleyjim 21:26 12 May 06

Yes, it has a hand under the printer icon.

woodchip 21:31 12 May 06

Have you tried rebooting both computers?

Woolwell 23:27 12 May 06

Does the print queue show "guest"? Had a similar problem which I was unable to resolve.

Farleyjim 06:32 13 May 06

Yes, I've rebooted both computers several times. and yes, the print queue does say "Guest". From your experience, Woolwell, it doesn't sound too promising. Has anbody any other ideas, or do I just need to buy a new printer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…