Sharing a printer

chaztait 21:43 23 Dec 04

Hi i am trying to share a printer between two computers. I already have them sharing the internet and also sharing files. But for some reason i cant share a printer. The printer is on the main computer with the internet and i have shared the printer and its drivers. But on the other computer when i go to add printer then go to browse for printers and then the group name comes up. But when i click on it it cant find any printers and when i enter the printers name it just says printer can not be found. I created a new home network and made a Network Disc and then run it on the other computer. And its fine but then i try the printer thing again and the same happens. This is really anoying me as i have had them talking to each other with the printer before so i dont know were i have went wrong. I know its probably something really stupid.

Could anyone please tell me what the problme might be and how to fix it?

Thanxs

chaztait

whybe 22:48 23 Dec 04

I had a similar problem. First make sure that you have enabled 'share printer' from the attached main computer. Left click the printer icon and click on sharing. Then if you try instead of browse try the network statement below ignoring filling in the path to printer and click next. Your network name should then appear, click on that and your main computer should then appear, click on that and your printer should appear.Then a wizard should guide you through the install. Make sure before all this that your main computer and printer are switched on and that the remote computer is connected to the network. It did take me awhile to get it to work but I was trying to folloe the \\computer\printer route and got the same result as yourself. Hope this helps.

whybe 22:50 23 Dec 04

After the printer name appears click on that to start wizard. W

woodchip 23:00 23 Dec 04

Why not get a cheap box, ether a Auto or manual switch box. You can get USB or Parallel switch box's

chaztait 23:42 23 Dec 04

that never worked what do you mean by by printer route??

whybe 01:04 24 Dec 04

Sorry it didn't work. The Printer route or probably I should have said path is in the format given as an example under the Network option e.g. \\Main computer name\Name of printer

chaztait 01:15 24 Dec 04

that never worked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…