Sharing PCs

I have 2 PCs in the house. One connects directly to the Internet via a cable, the laptop via the router. How do I set up both PCs so they can see things on each others? Both run Vista. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 10 Apr 09

In the Network Center task pane, click Set Up a Connection or Network, click Set Up a Network, and click Next.

If you're browsing a network computer's resources, click Set Up a Home or Small Office Network.

In the initial Set Up a Network wizard dialogue box that appears, click Next. The wizard then detects your networking hardware, including whether your network configuration includes a router.
Vista can detect whether your network is configured with a router.
Click Configure This Device Manually to open the router's home page (usually found at IP address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1).
If your router supports automatic configuration via a USB Flash drive, click Configure Wireless Settings for My Router and Save to USB Flash Drive instead.
You then enter a name for the new network (this doubles as your network's SSID and profile name), enter a WPA security key, and turn file and printer sharing on or off.

Then Vista gives you the choice of saving the network settings to a USB Flash drive.
After the settings have been saved, you simply plug the Flash drive into another Vista or XP computer that you want on your network.
In the AutoPlay dialog box that appears, you choose the Wireless Network Setup Wizard option. This runs the wizard and, by using the settings stored on the Flash drive, sets up the computer on the network in seconds.
Vista gives you the option of saving the new network settings to a USB Flash drive so you can apply them on other computers that you want on the same network. When you insert the Flash drive in another computer, the AutoPlay dialog box prompts you to start the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

'If you're browsing a network computer's resources, click Set Up a Home or Small Office Network'

There isn't this option

Well I have managed to do it so far and saved to a USB flash drive but when I insert it into the second PC it autoplays and says an error - 'the wizard could not create a wireless network.'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…