Sharing P2P wireless Internet on Windows 98

Kaligula 19:18 18 Nov 05

Have just struggled to set up my first wireless connection between 2 computers, no router. The main computer has WinXP and is connected to the internet through a USB cable modem. The second runs Win98SE, Using the software that came with the Belkin wireless stick I have managed to set up a network and then using WinXP network set up wizard I have got the Win98 computer to connect to the internet. But when it restarts it no longer has access to the internet and I have to run the the Win XP network set up wizard again. Doin it this way is quite useless to me. Does anyone have any Ideas?

Cheers

Kegger 21:05 18 Nov 05

Hi Kaligula
Ok I can see the the issue here, as you are using a USB modem to access the Internet i am assuming thet you are then turning that Pc off at some time or other, when you turn the PC back on and dial up your ISP you are assigned a new ip address which breaks your network connection. ways around it are to proxy the main PC with somthing like Proxy + (google for it) it is free to use for up to 3 PC connections. and set the browser settings on the win 98 PC to point to it. you could also hard wire between them or indeed buy a router.Kegger

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…