sharing on a network

Sam F 16:07 25 Sep 06

I have a PC connected via Lan to a router and two laptops connected wirelessly to the same router. I can setup files/folders to be shared on the two laptops no problem (i.e. they show up on all 3 computers under my network places-local network) but any folders/files I try to share on the PC do not show up anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

ade.h 16:29 25 Sep 06

In one moment, you say they show, then you say they don't. Could you clarify your post? Do you mean that each client shows only its own share? Have you browsed for the other shares from the task pane?

Sam F 18:14 25 Sep 06

Apologies ade. What I was trying to say was that any files I elect to share from either of the two laptops, will show up in my network places-local network and also show up on the ethernet connected PC i.e. files from the two laptops will show up in all three clients. However, any files I try to share from the PC will not show up in my network places-local network on any of the three clients at all ?
Hope this is a bit clearer?

ade.h 19:54 25 Sep 06

So clicking on the share shortcuts fails to open them, you mean? Are you presented with any warning about permissions or a request for a username and password?

Sam F 21:14 25 Sep 06

No, Any share shortcuts that are there open up fine. The problem is that no shortcuts appear of any folder I try to share that's on the PC. (Folders shared from the laptops appear fine and their shortcuts can be opened from all three computers/clients.
There's no warning about permissions etc, the shortcuts just don't appear, even though the folders on the PC have been set to be shared i.e. there is a small "hand" that appears on the shared folder icon.
Hope this makes sense?

ade.h 22:14 25 Sep 06

Have you tried adding the shortcuts manually?

Sam F 22:36 25 Sep 06

No. How would I do that?

ade.h 22:49 25 Sep 06

On the task pane of My Network Places, you'll se "Add a Network Place". You use that.

Sam F 23:02 25 Sep 06

Tried to do that but to be honest i'm not really sure what/how to do it.
Sorry!

ade.h 23:29 25 Sep 06

It's easy. Click Next twice, taking you past the bit second screen and up to the screen with a Browse button on it. Hit that, then expand the folder tree, moving through the workgroup until you reach a shared folder. Select it and hit Okay. Complete the wizard.

ade.h 23:30 25 Sep 06

And if that doesn't work, then you likely have significant underlying problems with your LAN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…