Sharing a monitor between PCs

Publisher 11:57 01 Apr 05

I have two PCs on the desk, one for work and one for home use.

It would be useful to share the same flat screen. Is it possible to buy an adapter which connects both PCs to one flat screen, and switch over to select the one in use at the time?

if there is, what do I ask for?

DRiM

Zaphod Beeblebrox 12:08 01 Apr 05

A kvm switch will allow you to use one monitor one keyboard and one mouse to run both pcs you just switch between the two using a key sequence

vinnyT 14:33 01 Apr 05

This link takes you to the kvm page on amazonUK

click here

Some good prices around £24 (also some pricier, you have to see which best meets your needs).

I got this through googleUK, along with many other sites selling kvms'.

Hope this helps.

pauldonovan 14:38 01 Apr 05

...something like VNC ? Lets you remote control the other PC from your current one. And its free...

Storik 14:39 01 Apr 05

As Zaphod Beeblebrox and vinnyT state, a KVM switch works a treat.

I'm using a Belkin 2-Port KVM switch - mainly to use mouse and keyboard. My flat screen (a Dell) has both anologue and DV interfaces, so I don't need the KVM switch for monitor sharing. Both work fine in different modes, but need to adjust the screen when changing. (press one button)

Storik

DieSse 14:59 01 Apr 05

Make sure you get a good quality switch, otherwise it's very easy to get "ghosting" on the displays due to the extra length of cabling used.

DieSse 14:59 01 Apr 05

Make sure you get a good quality switch, otherwise it's very easy to get "ghosting" on the displays due to the extra length of cabling used.

Publisher 18:57 01 Apr 05

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I have installed VNC and set it up, its amazing! I think it will do what I want, if not I will go for the KVM switches.

Thanks

DRiM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…