Sharing an ISDN internet connection on XP

neilgf 14:21 07 Jul 03

Can someone advise please?

I am attempting to allow 2 PCs to use one ISDN line - hopefully one line each. Here are what I believe are possible solutions and the problems I need to resolve:

1. Enable ICS - can't do as I am using fixed TCPIP addressing on 10.x.x.x. Am I right?
2. Physically connect both PCs to the ISDN box. The box itself has one USB port (already connected to one PC) and 2 digital line connections. Its a BT device and they say you can connect all 3 if you want. My options are:
a. Connect the other PC via a ISDN terminal adapter but this PC is some 20 feet from the BT connection point. Is there a restriction on the length of the ISDN line cable?
b. Share the USB port of the BT point via a USB Autoshare 2.0 (via Lindy). Will this work on the BT point like all other USB devices? I already have USB extenders in operation for the 20 foot distance.

Many thanks.

Neil

recap 14:53 07 Jul 03

You could just connect the two PC's with a cross over cable, use the higher spec machine as the server so to speak. Set up your network using TCP/IP (firsts machines ip address: 192.168.x.1, second 192.168.x.2).Drop the firewall on the XP machines and set up sharing.

click here for further information.

neilgf 20:08 07 Jul 03

I am restricted to TCPIP so 10.x.x.x due to a VPN requirement.

I thought that meant I could not share an internet connection on a LAN or even peer to peer. Am I wrong?

Neil

recap 16:20 09 Jul 03

VPN connections are created for users that have been authorized. Authorization of a VPN connection is determined by the dial in properties on the user account.

neilgf 13:00 16 Jul 03

An update.

Problem fixed by using existing USB cables and extenders and a Belkin 4 port switch box.

Neil

graham√ 13:09 16 Jul 03

Thanks for the info. It will be of benefit to others in future searches, especially with an excellent subject title!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5