Sharing internet, Windows XP and Windows 2000

genuinefake 19:15 07 Jun 06

I am attempting set up two laptops to share an internet connection (dial up..)

I bought a crossover cable which i believe is all i need..? I don't really know where to go from there...

One runs XP and the other 2000? Does that make it harder or is it just the same?

Thanks for any help.

ade.h 19:19 07 Jun 06

Does that make it harder? Yes, it does a bit, though at least you're not trying to use Win9x. 2k is not as intuitive as XP but at least it's natively network ready. That said, it really belongs in a router, server or hub based network rather than an ad-hoc linkup.

First of all, which client has the internet connection?

genuinefake 19:22 07 Jun 06

erm i tried originally with xp and because i could not get it to work, i then changed things around to 2000..

Which would be the best to have the connection on?

mgmcc 19:39 07 Jun 06

<<< Which would be the best to have the connection on? >>>

Undoubtedly, XP.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

genuinefake 21:06 07 Jun 06

I will try what you have suggested and get back to you..

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…