sharing internet over two pcs.

WaiKent 15:48 27 Aug 03

hi i currently have cable modem with NTL Broadband 150k. i was wondering as there are two ports on the back of the modem. a USB and Ethernet and i just wanted two pcs to have the internet on, could i possibly plug one pc with the USB (My current one) and have the modem installed on it, then connect my other pc which has ethernet to the modem aswell and install the same modem on it. would this work. any help would be appreciated.

armand 15:54 27 Aug 03

No. Y ou need to connect the ethernt on the modem to a splitter unit ( sorrry not very tech that) and then connect your pc's to that. At least that's how my office is rigged. Hope that helps a bit.

Q-Bie 16:02 27 Aug 03

By slitter unit, he's refering to a Router.

Buy a router. Plug router into cable modem via ethernet. Plug both PC's into router.

Simple ;)

GORAL 16:07 27 Aug 03

Simpler still (and cheaper I think) is to buy and install a PCI Ethernet card in your 2nd PC then buy a hub (Netgear are good) plus two PATCH cables (i.e. NOT crossover) Easy !

WaiKent 23:12 27 Aug 03

does a router support usb and ethernet if not then i have only one pc with ethernet?

jazzypop 23:29 27 Aug 03

How to share NTL with 2 or more PCs - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…