Sharing an Internet connection

Kilty 10:33 14 Sep 09

I have just set up a window home server in my office (in an outside building, beyond wireless) via a direct ethernet cable to the modem (in the house). My two laptops (in the house) work off a wireless connection to the modem. All this works great, but what I want to do is connect a desktop to the network in the office next to the server.

The problem is that when I connect a switch to the ethernet connetion in the office, to share it between the server and the desktop, the server drops on and off the network at various times.

Is there a way of using a PCI card for the server, to share the connection between the PC and the server, as I think the problem is the switch/hub?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Woolwell 11:51 14 Sep 09

I think that you may getter a better response from the network forum.

mgmcc 12:13 14 Sep 09

Connecting a "Network Switch" to the ethernet cable in the office *SHOULD* work and allow both computers to get IP addresses by DHCP from the Router in the house. If this isn't happening, I'd be inclined to suspect a faulty switch. Does each computer get a unique IP address in the correct Subnet (IP address range)?

>>> Is there a way of using a PCI card for the
>>> server, to share the connection between the PC
>>> and the server, as I think the problem is the
>>> switch/hub?

Yes, you can install a second network adapter in the "server" PC and connect the second PC to it using a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable. "Internet Connection Sharing" would then be enabled on the Local Area Connection that is connected to the Router in the house. As "Internet Connection Sharing" MUST give the second network adapter the IP address 192.168.0.1 and allocate an address to the 'Client' PC in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254, it is essential that the Router in the house doesn't also operate in this same Subnet, otherwise there will be conflicts. If the Router's address is also 192.168.0.1, then change its third 'octet' so that it has an address such as 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…