sharing folders on network ???

Chronos 09:01 21 Jul 04

hi, one PC is xp ntfs and the other is win98 fat32, i have ticked all the file sharing boxes, and the little hand thingy in under the drives and folders, well, they are on the win98 pc, but where do i go from there? can anyone guide me in the right direction......thanks

LastChip 11:24 21 Jul 04

You should be able to now go to your XP machine, click on the network icon and see your "Entire Network". A further click will take you to your Win 98 machine. Click on that, to see any file or drive you have shared.

You can now access and work on these files on your XP machine, as though they existed there. The amount of access you have, will depend upon what permissions you granted (read only, full access etc.).

Chronos 11:50 21 Jul 04

on the XP pc when i click network, all i have is

1394 connection

direct connection

local area connection

network bridge

wireless network connection...........

so i am lost..........thanks

LastChip 13:21 21 Jul 04

How are the computers connected to each other?

Chronos 13:56 21 Jul 04

HI, with a BT voyager wireless adsl modem, got it yesterday.........i found my way to a wizard for sharing files, made a floppy disk, like it said and run it, but still no joy..

TomJerry 14:13 21 Jul 04

On XP Double click "My Network Places", double click "Computers Near Me", then you just click the computer you want to access, it will presents you all directories you make share.

LastChip 14:31 21 Jul 04

Can each computer "see" the other? (see TomJerry's post)

This is the starting point, and if this isn't happening, nothing else will work.

Some basic rules include;

1. Each computer must be on the SAME Workgroup; confusingly called "Workgroup" by default, although you can name it anything you like providing it is consistent on ALL machines.

2. Each computer must have a UNIQUE name. Again you call select whatever you like; Bill and Ben or even Sharon and Tracy (Oh No!) for example.

Chronos 14:33 21 Jul 04

thank you both, i am going to start again from square one...i will report back..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…