Sharing Files and Printers on Home Network

Nick052 17:38 11 Dec 05

Hi,

I have successfully set up Internet Connection Sharing where I have one computer (running Windows ME) connected to Telewest broadband with a wireless router, which shares the connection with a Windows XP computer (using a USB receiver). This works totally fine.

What I am now wanting to do is be able to see files on the Windows ME machine that are on the Windows XP machine and vice versa. I would also like to install the Lexmark printer that is connected to the ME machine on the XP machine.

I am having difficulties setting this up. I have turned on file and printer sharing on the ME machine (via the control panel Network section), ran the home network setup program, and set certain folders and the printer to be shared. However when I go to My Network Places on the XP machine, although the other machine successfully shows, XP wont connect to it. The printer does not appear either if you try to add it.

If I try this the other way round and share-enable some folders on the XP machine, this machine does not appear in My Network Places on the ME machine. Also, if you double click "Entire Network" you get an error saying Windows cannot connect to the network.

I have run the Home Network setup program on both machines (so presumably the XP firewall has been configured) so am not sure what the problem is.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…