Sharing files and folders in 2 computers

willo500 15:52 03 Apr 06

Hello

I have recently set up a wireless internet connection for my laptop and desktop. I used a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL router. I have a WG111 USB network adapter on the deskopt and a wireless network card in the laptop. So far so good.

I now would like to know how to link the two pcs so that I can share files and folders between them and also use the same printer for both.

The laptop has Windows XP professional SP2 and the desktop has Windows XP SP2 Home installed.

Can anyone tell me what to do next. I am assuming I should use the network set up wizard in windows but I am not sure what options to use.

Thanks

Willo

mgmcc 16:44 03 Apr 06

If the two computers have internet access via the router, then they are already "networked". You should set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "Shared" by right clicking them and selecting the Sharing & Security option. In any case, at least one folder in each PC should be set as "Shared". Any Firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

That basically should be it, although to access files in XP Pro, you may have to be logged into the 'client' PC with a Username/Password that matches an Account set up in the XP PC. More about that at click here

This is my standard "blurb" on network printing:

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places", the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device).

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

h t t p : / / support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

willo500 10:28 04 Apr 06

Hi mgmcc and thanks for the advice. I will try this later in the week.

Willo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac