Sharing Documents in XP

Jackcoms 11:30 26 Mar 05

Following the advice given in another thread click here I have changed all 4 users on this PC to Limited Accounts and created a new Administrator Account.

I am now trying to share everyone's documents between the 4 Limited Users so that we can still see, use and edit each other's Word, Excel files etc, without having to switch between users.

Having followed the Help file in Windows which essentially says "drag the contents of the My Documents folder into the Shared Files folder", it doesn't work for me.

I now have 4 shortcuts in the Shared Files folder called (for example) A's Files, B's Files, C's Files and D's Files.

However, if I am logged in as Limited User 'A' and click on the shortcut for B's Files, I still cannot gain access to those files.

What I am doing wrong?

mattyc_92 11:38 26 Mar 05

Just save the files to "Shared Documents" folder (c:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents)...

ALL users are able to add, delete and edit files in this directory...

mattyc_92 11:40 26 Mar 05

I have just read your psot again, and the reason why the "shortcuts" don't work, is because they are still in a user's name.... You are supposd to copy and paste the files into the directory, not create a shortcut...

Jackcoms 12:24 26 Mar 05

You say to save the files to the Shared Documents folder.

OK, but I still want to differentiate between A's File, B's Files, etc within that Shared Documents folder.

Presumably I can move each person's existing My Documents Folder into the Shared Documents folder?

Then I should change the paths from (for example) C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\A's Documents, etc, etc.

Or am I trying to be too clever for my own good??

mattyc_92 12:34 26 Mar 05

You are correct (not the "too clear for your own good" bit)...

Create new folders e.g A's Documents, B's Documents, etc... and then log in as each of them and right-click the My Documents option... Then change the "target" to the folder you have just created in the Shared Documents....

Then just copy & paste the files into the new directory...

Jackcoms 16:21 26 Mar 05

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a a go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…