//some 3rd party need geo

Sharing Documents in Win Me

Alf58 00:28 12 Sep 05

I have a have a home network comprising of two Xp and one ME machines connected via a router. All machines can "see" each other and have their icons in My Network places. The problem is with the ME machine, despite enabling "sharing" it wont share. When i try to access anything on the Me machine from either of the other machines it asks for the password I set when enabling sharing and when it it is correctly supplied the password box immediately returns as many times as the password is entered. I cannot transfer any files to or from it via the network though it happily connects to the internet via the router. Any ideas?

Zaphod Beeblebrox 04:03 12 Sep 05

have you got a software firewall running on the me machine

Taff36 06:48 12 Sep 05

Long time since I set up ME with file sharing so I`ve found this click here which at short notice describes the basics for anything before Win 2000. Hope it helps but post back if not.

scotty 10:56 12 Sep 05

I suspect you need to look at the XP machines, not the ME one. Try this:

Go to

Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Local Security Policy
Security Settings
Sharing Mode- Change this to "Classic Mode - Local users Authenticate as Themselves" (as opposed to "Guest only" the default model)

Alf58 23:56 18 Sep 05

Thanks scotty. I followed your advice and I can now access the ME machine's C Drive though strangely the problem persists when I try to access "My documents" on the Me machine. Of course this isnt an issue as I can access the documents by entering C drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…