sharing dial-up access

steerstuffer 06:44 31 Dec 08

I have a Dell desktop with a built-in modem that connects to the phone line for dial-up internet access. I just got a new Dell laptop and to my surprise doesn't have a built-in modem, and I want to share the dial-up internet access between the two. I would like to have the laptop to be wireless if possible so I can use it around the house without dragging phone cords. the laptop has a built in wireless card. Can I do this? If so, exactly what do I buy and where? Be simple, I am learning here. LOL!!! Thanks

STREETWORK 11:58 31 Dec 08

You now need to consider upgrading to broadband and make use of the wireless technology to connect the laptop...

ambra4 12:13 31 Dec 08

Some of dell laptop is being supplied with out a dial up modem these days due to the worldwide

spread of broadband you would have to connect a USB modem or set up a Ad Hoc Wireless

Network

USB Dial Up Modems

US Robotics 56K USB Modem, PC/MAC/Linux, Software Upgradeable

click here

Hayes Accura USB External Mini Dongle Modem

click here

You have your old laptop online through a dial up modem and you want to connect a new laptop

by wireless to access the internet

What you have to set up is a Wireless Ad Hoc Network

Please Note: - That these instructions is for a XP to XP Wireless Ad Hoc Network

And that the old laptop with the dial up modem must be on at all time

Vista to XP Wireless Ad Hoc Network should be the same, just finding your way around Vista is

the problem and can be a real pain, all the extra click here that you have to do

click here

Personal I find that if I change all the setting in Vista to the Classic look that vista is a lot easier

to use and get around to find the commands

Overview

An Ad Hoc Wireless Network does not need a Wireless Router but it does need a Wireless Card

or a USB Adaptor for each computer on the network

An Ad Hoc Wireless Network might be suitable for someone with a cable / dial up connection to

their host computer who wants to be able to connect their wireless laptop to the internet and

share files between the two computers.

The restriction is that the laptop can only connect to the Internet if the Host PC is running.

Any number of computers can be connected together with an ad hoc wireless network.

One of the PCs needs to acts as the Host computer and connected to the Internet via the Dial-up

modem, or a USB or Ethernet broadband modem

If the host computer is connected to the Internet through the Dial-up modem, or a USB or

Ethernet broadband modem then all the members of the ad hoc wireless network can share that

Internet connection.

The network will still work for files and printer sharing even if the host computer is not

connected to the Internet

ambra4 12:14 31 Dec 08

The basic procedure is as follows: -

Use Windows to configure the wireless network on each PC

Give the network the same name and settings on each PC.

Switch on Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the host PC.

Make sure that each PC is connected to the network correctly by rebooting the wireless

connection as necessary

Ensure that the Host PC is always switched on first and off last, otherwise the others computers

will get confused

Setting up the new laptop Only (Not the Host laptop)

There should be a wireless icon in the notification area of the taskbar for the wireless

connection with a red cross on it

If no wireless icon is showing in task bar check the following

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right Click Wireless Network Connection – Properties

At bottom of display page tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A wireless display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the set-up

Also make sure the Wireless switch on the computer is turn On

This switch only turn on the “Wireless Card Antenna” you also have to check that the Wireless

card is “Enable”

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click Wireless Network Connection-Enable or Disable

as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

A single wireless icon should appear in the task bar

If the new laptop is using Vista disable IPv6 on the Lan card and Wireless card, as it can cause

connectivity problem on the network

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

Right click the icon and left click View Available Wireless Networks.

Left click Change “Advanced Settings”

Left click “Wireless Networks Tab”

Make sure that there is a tick against “Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings”

Left click the “Advanced button” (Not the Advanced Tab)

Select “Computer to Computer“ (Ad Hoc) networks only

Make sure that there is no tick against “Automatically connect to non-preferred networks”

Left click Close

Left click the “Add button”

Type a Network name (SSID) Name of your Ad Hoc Network. (Example: - 45steerstuffer06)

Network Authentication should be set to Open

Data encryption should be set to Disabled

Make sure that there is no tick against “The key is provided for me automatically”

Make sure there is a tick against “This is a computer-to-computer (Ad Hoc) network”

Wireless access points are not used (this should be grayed out)

Left click the Connection tab

Make sure that there is a tick against “Connect when this network is in range”

Click OK

Click OK

You need to repeat the above procedure for each desktop / laptop computer that you want to

connect, ensuring that you type exactly the same Network name for each one.

And don’t worry that you still have the Red Cross on the Wireless icon in the notification area

You haven’t finished yet.

Once you have setup the new laptop as above, shut it down

ambra4 12:15 31 Dec 08

The host PC the one that is connected to the Internet via the dial up modem

Setting up the Host PC

Right click the wireless icon in the taskbar and left click “Open Network Connections”

The Network Connections Window will open

Right click “Local Area Connection” (NOT the wireless connection) in the list)

Left click Properties

Left click the “Advanced tab”

Put a tick against “Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet

connection”

Click OK

Close the Network Connections window.

A box will tell you that “your LAN adaptor will be set to use IP address 192.168.0.1.......” –

Click the “Yes” button.

Close the Network Connections Window.

Now boot up the new laptop and watch as the little wireless icons lose the Red Cross and tell you

that your PC’s are connected.

If they don’t connect, left click the wireless icon and left click Repair.

If they say that they are connected but the connection doesn’t actually work, left click the

wireless icon and left click the Support Tab.

If the Address Type is “Automatic Private Address” then click the Repair button and check again

when it has finished.

The Address Type should then be “Assigned by DHCP”

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…