sharing cable internet

Drifter 12:09 08 Apr 04

Hi, I have 2 pcs, one printer and one blueyonder modem, and I would like to share my internet with both PCs. I would also like to be able to transfer files between the PCs. I have just bought a Linksys router, but on opening the box, I find only one outlet on the router and it talks about needing a "hub" or switch, will I have to network the PCs first with cable and 2 network cards? The instructions also show just one PC connected to the internet via the router and the modem, what would anyone gain from that?
Thanks, Drifter

AndySD 12:10 08 Apr 04

What is the model of the router?

Drifter 12:12 08 Apr 04

It's a BEFSR11

AndySD 12:22 08 Apr 04

Yes you chose a router without a built in switch/hub click here

If you got it from a shop they may exchange it. Or the distance selling act will apply if you got it over the internet. (but you need to pay the return postage)

Or you will need to buy a Switch/Hub almost all computer stores sell them.

Drifter 12:38 08 Apr 04

Mmmmm, looks like I'm only half way there at the moment, shall investigate switching hubs(?) now.
Thanks,
Drifter

AndySD 12:55 08 Apr 04

A 4/5-Port 10/100 Switch someting like click here or click here

SEASHANTY 15:50 08 Apr 04

My NTL 600k BB connection is shared with two PC's using the wired Linksys BEFSR41 router, which is a four port router with combined switch.
Follow the setup wizard to see how setup is established
click here
also for notes on sharing internet connection check the Robin Walker website which covers both NTL and
Telewest Blueyonder networking
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…