Sharing a bt broadband connection

mattjj72 21:04 05 Jul 05

Hi,

I'd like to connect another computer to my broadband connection wirelessly, my isp is BT/yahoo and I was wondering whether anybody has had any experience setting up such a shared connection on this specific ISP. I ask this because i've noticed that BT are pretty forward in promoting their own hardware so i'm wondering whether i will run into compatability problems.

The asdl modem which came bundled with the connection has no ethernet port.. is it better to get a new modem/wireless access point to replace it or can you connect an access point directly to the PC through a network card?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have successfully set up wireless solution to share your BT connection, specific hardware and how you did it would be great. I'm trying to keep the cost of hardware down.

Also i'm wondering whether it would be posible to set up an ad hoc network using two adapters, one computer is upstairs one on the floor below, if this is fesible, how would i set it up?

Thanks a lot

PS. both computers are on xp

01chris 22:06 05 Jul 05

but i have an ad-hoc network that shares a bb connection. I bought a 3com officeconnect wireless adapter (click here)

and it worked fine. Just use the wizard.

You might want to test the range first though.

mgmcc 22:10 05 Jul 05

To create a wireless network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than computer is to use a broadband Router and, with ADSL, this should be a combined “Router/ADSL Modem”. This is an ”Infrastructure” wireless network because the connected PCs communicate via the router’s Wireless Access Point. Again, a wireless adapter is installed in any PC that needs to connect wirelessly, but often the main PC is close enough to the router for it to use a “wired” connection with only the remote PC connecting wirelessly.

With “Internet Connection Sharing” under option (1), when you enable this on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up “Internet Connection Sharing”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

With a router, as in option (2), it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually 192.168.xxx.xxx

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing wirelessly across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

-----------------

To enable Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual Internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box "Allow other network users...etc".

-----------------

Note that you cannot run two PCs directly from the modem, you must either use ICS with a Host/Client setup or use a router.

01chris 22:10 05 Jul 05

i thought that it wasnt terribly clear. If you need more advice just post again

01chris 22:11 05 Jul 05

dont fall into the same trap as me! Even though the wireless adapter can reach speeds of 54mbps an ad-hoc network will only run at 11mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…