sharing broadband with a laptop - need help

mirrorman 20:25 21 Nov 05

I have been trying to share my broadband with my laptop with the pc to pc ethernet crossover cable method.
At present I have both pc's showing that I am connected to the net but my laptop won't show web pages just DNS ERROR and page could not be found
Please can anyone talk me through this one as I am getting a bit lost as to what to do.

mgmcc 21:05 21 Nov 05

Part of my standard "blurb" on wired networking ;)

---------------8<-----------------------------

Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a crossover CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”

---------------8<-----------------------------

If you do have it all set up as per the above and still get the DNS error, you could try entering your ISP's DNS addresses manually into the "client" PC's (the laptop's) TCP/IP settings.

To find out your ISP's DNS addresses, in the "Host" PC, open a Command Prompt window ("start > Run", type CMD and click OK), and at the prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter. This will display details of all adapters in the PC including the internet connection which should show the ISP's DNS addresses.

ade.h 23:13 21 Nov 05

Added to My Postings for ref.

mirrorman 00:13 22 Nov 05

Anyone got any idea how I go about enabling DHCP in windows xp as the command promp window says that it is not enable and unless i'm very mistaken I would need this to connect via ethernet crossover cable. HEEEEEEEELP

mgmcc 08:46 22 Nov 05

If you have opened a Command Prompt window and run IPCONFIG /ALL to view details of your network adapters, that will show whether or not a particular adapter has obtained its IP address by DHCP or if it has been manually configured.

Having enabled Internet Connection Sharing in your "host" PC, its network adapter when viewed will show "DHCP enabled - No" and this is correct because it has been manually configured by Windows when ICS was set up.

In the "client" PC, the adapter's settings will show "DHCP enabled - Yes" and the address of the DHCP server will also be shown (the "host" PC, 192.168.0.1)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…