Sharing Broadband Connection

daz246 16:21 25 Oct 03

Hi I have a desktop PC with BT Broadband, im planning on buying a laptop, what do I need to enable me to use the same connection for the intrernet with the laptop, im assuming a network card in both and then possibly a router???

Can anyone please advise.
thanks
darren

spikeychris 16:25 25 Oct 03

If you?re not bothered about having both machines on the net at the same time (you will have to have the machine that is connected to the net ?online? for it to work) then the cheapest way is to install TWO NIC cards in the machine that is connected to the net (host). A network card will cost you less than a tenner and is as simple to fit as a modem. Next, go and buy yourself a crossover cable £4 and shove one end in the host and the other in the second computer (client).

Next install Internet connection sharing, it?s a doddle but if you?re having problems use these links

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

This also means you can share files and folders and printers

click here

click here

click here

It?s all very simple an at around £14, it hardly breaks the bank?..

If you don?t fancy having to have both machines on the net at the same time then go and buy a Router with an inbuilt ethernet switch.

Connect that to the cable modem, put one NIC in each machine & connect them
to the switch. Doing this means that the machines are independently
connected and also the Router acts as a Firewall with Network
Address Translation (NAT).

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…