Sharing broadband between 2 PC's

plectrum 03:29 03 Jan 04

Is there an easy way of sharing a broadband modem between two PC's. I know it can be done by networking but i need to be able to share the connection either both at the same time, or any one of the PC's switched off whilst the other is connected.

Terrahawk 05:08 03 Jan 04

you will need a router you will then be able to connect with each machine indepentantly.I dont know a great deal about them personnaly but leave the thread running and someone may be able to add to it at a more earthly hour.

Rayuk 10:44 03 Jan 04

May give you the general idea what to do
click here

BlueMeanie 18:13 03 Jan 04

Confirm that a Router is the solution.

Most have 4 ports to allow up to 4 PC's to share plus a WAN port for connection to your broadband provider.

I have NTL plus a cheap Router from a computer fair (£29) and it worked straight out of the box.
You will also need some straight (not crossover) Cat 5 cables.

PS allow your cable modem to stabilised for a few seconds before switching on your router, or it cannot lock onto the broadband signal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…