Share.exe & Word 2000

ProblemSolver 20:23 18 Feb 03

Dear PCAdvisor colleagues,

When I try to load some old Word documents from inside Word2000, an 'error message' appears, saying that I must exit windows & load SHARE.EXE before I can run Word.(I have a feeling Word2000, which I set up on Win98SE, isn't set up properly, even though it opens OK, but the toolbars remain hidden, so I can't use it without a lot of messing about with the keyboard to scroll down a page, closing can be done with the mouse, but ctrl, alt, del, still need to be pressed to exit Word).

Is Word2000 compatible with Win98SE?
Where is 'SHARE . EXE' kept? Can I load it from a MS-DOS disk, if so which one? Any help with this problem will be very welcome, I've tried lots of ideas/suggestions, to no avail, so far.

Thanking you, in advance
Regards, ProblemSolver

Andÿ 20:28 18 Feb 03
  Andÿ 20:30 18 Feb 03

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 161619

The Share.exe tool is not included with Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Windows 98 or Windows Me. File sharing and locking capabilities are provided by APIs in IFSManager and are not supported in MS-DOS mode. You may not be able to install or run some MS-DOS-based programs or 16-bit Windows-based programs that require Share.exe in OSR2, Windows 98 or Windows Me.
MORE INFORMATION
In earlier versions of Windows, Share.exe is used only in real-mode MS-DOS. In order to support the FAT32 file system, Share.exe support has been disabled in the real-mode MS-DOS kernel regardless of whether or not you have any drives using the FAT32 file system.

Some programs look for a file named Share.exe in either the root folder or the DOS folder. This file can be a zero-byte file created with a text editor (such as Notepad). Other programs may simply look for the string "share" in the Autoexec.bat file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…