shared telephone line causing poor internet speed

de_de 19:34 18 Jan 04

I typed my phone number into the "can i get broadband" box on the BT site, to be told that my line is shared (DACS). I know that if i place an order for broadband they would have to give me a seperate line for it to work. I don't want broadband...yet, i want a respectable dial-up speed at the moment. Mine is 24KB/S transfer rate with an Intel 536EP V.92 modem...which is very slow. Is this the best speed i can expect on a shared line? Is there any tweaks to increase speed? Has anyone ever managed to get BT to "un-DACS" their telephone line for dial-up?

MichelleC 19:42 18 Jan 04

BT could still turn up the volume (or gain) on the shared line which could up your bps. You contact faults.

BT is now obliged to provide a minimum speed. If this means removing DACS, then they must do so. Trouble is, I can't remember what the speed is. Anyone out there remember?

It's 28.8 kbs click here

de_de 20:14 18 Jan 04

Your correct graham...i've just read an article in which OFTEL have forced BT to provide a connection speed of 28.8Kbps minimum for 56K modem customers. They will be legally obliged to do this. I was getting that speed on AOL but it dropped to 24Kbps on Vispa...those 4Kbps make quite a difference! Just for information, BT were obliged to provide a service of just 2.4Kbps minimum prior to the regulator stepping in!

Also worth noting that Oftel is now Ofcom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…