Shared internet access

michaelandjolou 00:10 27 Mar 06

My father has a computer that a lot of the family use when visiting him. I've helped him over the past year; buying him anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall tools to protect him. In the six years he has had the computer no anti-virus has been installed. (I know how that sounds. I was as amazed as you all are.)

To protect him further I had the thought of setting up individual limited log-on accounts for each user. This, however, doesn't seem to work since after logging on the third-party cannot get access to the internet until my father has first logged on to his account and connected. He has tiscali broadband and I'm not sure that is what is causing the problem or my rather inept fumblings with the connections.

Can anybody help me please?

mgmcc 08:50 27 Mar 06

If you go into the Network Connections folder while logged in with your own User Account and double click the internet connection to start it, there should be an option to select -

Save this Username and Password for the following users:

- Me only
- Anyone who uses this computer

Select the 'Anyone' option and then connect so that the setting is saved. See if that allows all users to connect themselves.

michaelandjolou 00:04 29 Mar 06

I've tried this and the internet opens without any prompt. If I understand you correctly, you're talking about the window that opens when the computer is initially opened and offers you an opportunity to enter the password. If this is the case then unfortunately my father has this set to remember his logon details and offers no opportunity to edit. Is this correct? I have also tried the "network connections" option in Control Panel and that was also a dead end.

mgmcc 08:53 29 Mar 06

<<< If I understand you correctly, you're talking about the window that opens when the computer is initially opened and offers you an opportunity to enter the password. >>>

No, I was suggesting that, when launching a connection in the "Network Connections" folder, there is an option to set the connection for the logged on User, or All Users, as click here

However, I may be off the mark as my broadband is Cable, not ADSL, so I don't have to use a "dialup" type routine to go online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…