Shared file not showing in Vista

Beth 15:41 PM 20 Sep 11
Answered

I'm setting up a presentation in Powerpoint 2010. I'm using an XP desktop because that's where the photographs I need are stored. I'm trying to share the file with a Vista Home Premium laptop. I've been through all the setup options recommended by the MS helpline but I still can't find the file in the Vista public folder. A shared printer works without problems so the PCs are communicating. I've had several goes but I can't work out where I'm going wrong.

Woolwell 15:48 PM 20 Sep 11

In the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista laptop is file sharing and public folder sharing set to on?

Beth 15:54 PM 20 Sep 11

Yes, both are set to on.

Woolwell 16:01 PM 20 Sep 11

Briefly turn off the firewall on the Vista laptop and now try to access the public folder.

Beth 16:26 PM 20 Sep 11

I gave that a go but the file still isn't showing.

Woolwell 16:58 PM 20 Sep 11

Just to check is it just that file? Or you cannot get access to the public folder?

Beth 15:12 PM 21 Sep 11

It isn't just this file. I've tried before but wasn't too fussed when it didn't work. I need it to work this time, though. The desktop 'HOMEPC' is not showing on the network list on the laptop. I'm clueless but I tried to get that to work yesterday. It did but then I lost access to the internet and ended up having to do a system restore.

Woolwell 16:51 PM 21 Sep 11

I'm surprised that the printer is working with the problems that you have seeing the homepc. I assume that you have set up a wireless network and it has a common name. XP uses MSHOME and Vista Workgroup as default. I suggest that you run through the wireless network wizard again.

Woolwell 16:52 PM 21 Sep 11

ps the quick way out is a memory stick.

Beth 18:10 PM 21 Sep 11
Answer

Woolwell

I finally got there. Your last post got me thinking and, after more experimenting, I found a 'hotfix' on the MS website.

It was good to hear from you. Thanks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…