Shared file not showing in Vista

Beth 15:41 PM 20 Sep 11

I'm setting up a presentation in Powerpoint 2010. I'm using an XP desktop because that's where the photographs I need are stored. I'm trying to share the file with a Vista Home Premium laptop. I've been through all the setup options recommended by the MS helpline but I still can't find the file in the Vista public folder. A shared printer works without problems so the PCs are communicating. I've had several goes but I can't work out where I'm going wrong.

Woolwell 15:48 PM 20 Sep 11

In the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista laptop is file sharing and public folder sharing set to on?

Beth 15:54 PM 20 Sep 11

Yes, both are set to on.

Woolwell 16:01 PM 20 Sep 11

Briefly turn off the firewall on the Vista laptop and now try to access the public folder.

Beth 16:26 PM 20 Sep 11

I gave that a go but the file still isn't showing.

Woolwell 16:58 PM 20 Sep 11

Just to check is it just that file? Or you cannot get access to the public folder?

Beth 15:12 PM 21 Sep 11

It isn't just this file. I've tried before but wasn't too fussed when it didn't work. I need it to work this time, though. The desktop 'HOMEPC' is not showing on the network list on the laptop. I'm clueless but I tried to get that to work yesterday. It did but then I lost access to the internet and ended up having to do a system restore.

Woolwell 16:51 PM 21 Sep 11

I'm surprised that the printer is working with the problems that you have seeing the homepc. I assume that you have set up a wireless network and it has a common name. XP uses MSHOME and Vista Workgroup as default. I suggest that you run through the wireless network wizard again.

Woolwell 16:52 PM 21 Sep 11

ps the quick way out is a memory stick.

Beth 18:10 PM 21 Sep 11

I finally got there. Your last post got me thinking and, after more experimenting, I found a 'hotfix' on the MS website.

It was good to hear from you. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…