Share wireless with 2 wifi cards to router?

marvelous 15:51 03 Jan 06

I have 2 wireless cards on my laptop. 1 of them is currently turned on to connect to my wifi router downstairs. Now I have an xbox in my room connected to another wireless router that I want to share internet with. Is this possible? If not I have nic on my laptop but I still want to use the router. How do I go about doing this? If you can me some details about settings. Thanks.

My router next to the xbox is Dlink Di-524.

I'm running windows xp sp2 on my laptop

marvelous 16:55 06 Jan 06

bump

mgmcc 19:15 06 Jan 06

I originally read your posting several times, but you've totally lost me. The first sentence is fine - you have a laptop connecting wirelessly to a router downstairs and that, presumably, is online and providing the internet access.

Where the second router comes into the scheme of things, I just don't follow and what is it connecting to? Why is the Xbox not connecting directly to the first router?

marvelous 21:18 06 Jan 06

The xbox is upstairs near my laptop. I do not have a wifi card for the xbox. I have a router next to the xbox connected in LAN. I want to get internet access for the xbox somehow with my second wireless card in my laptop.

Downstairs Router--->Laptop----->Router----->Xbox

marvelous 21:25 06 Jan 06

router next to xbox is not client compatible.

mgmcc 11:57 07 Jan 06

OK, I *think* what you can do is to use the upstairs router as a basic "Wireless Access Point" so that the laptop connects to it in "Infrastructure" mode and the Xbox by ethernet cable; its DHCP server needs to be disabled and its WAN port won't be connected to anything.

You then need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the laptop's first Wireless Adapter so the Xbox gets internet access from the second Wireless Adapter, using the router as the W.A.P.

mgmcc 11:58 07 Jan 06

<<< router next to xbox is not client compatible >>>

What does that mean?

marvelous 13:24 07 Jan 06

I meant to say client mode

marvelous 13:29 07 Jan 06

Okay here's my info.

Laptop wifi card 1:
IP address:192.168.1.108
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:192.168.1.1
DNS Servers:205.152.37.23

my actual IP address (router downstairs): 65.12.163.144

Laptop wifi card 2:
What settings do I use?

Router next to xbox:
What settings do I use?

marvelous 13:55 07 Jan 06

here's emulator for my router next to xbox.

click here

mgmcc 17:57 07 Jan 06

You need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the first Wireless Adapter in the laptop. Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Adapter, select Properties then the Advanced tab. Tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection, as per this screenshot - click here

This will automatically configure the second Wireless Adapter (with which you want to connect to the Xbox via the upstairs router) with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and enable the laptop as a DHCP server to allocate the IP address to the Xbox.

You cannot use the Router as a Router unless you plug its WAN port into a "wired" network adapter in the laptop. Even then, I can forsee problems because that particular router operates in the same 192.168.0.xxx subnet as used by "Internet Connection Sharing", so unless the router's own IP address can be changed and also the range it allocates by DHCP, then you will have an IP address conflict.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…