share a printer between XP and Vista

nilefish 10:31 25 Jan 09

H there,

I tried many times to connect my printer-connected with my XP PC with USB cable- to my Vista wireless laptop

Windows Vista - Network Printer Setup
1) Connect the printer to the Vista "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". Make a note of both the host PC's "Computer Name" and the printer's "Share Name".

3) In the Vista "client" PC, launch the "Add a Printer" wizard and select the "Add a local printer" option. This automatically opens a new dialog box in which to select the Port.

4) Click the "Create a new port" radio button and leave the drop-down menu options on the default of "Local Port". Click Next.
5) A small box opens in which to enter the Port Name. Type in the path to the "shared" printer in the host PC using the format \\computername\sharename where computername and sharename are the details .THIS IS WHERE I HAVE A PROBLEM the message -the network path was not found-

6) Select the Printer driver from the list provided, which should include the driver you originally installed, otherwise use the "Have Disk" button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the list. It is essential that a Vista-compatible driver for your printer is used. Click Next.

7) Give the printer a name and choose whether to set it as the default. Click Next.

8) Print a test page to verify functionality and then click Finish.
PS: my 2 pcs are on the same work group and setup my printer to sharing in the host PC, any ideas?

Thanks

mgmcc 13:40 25 Jan 09

Are the two computers already networked reliably for "file sharing" and with any firewall software properly configured?

nilefish 14:33 25 Jan 09

yes they are, I check the firewall and the network they both allwing printer and file sharing, but the network stated-printer sharing on ,password required I'm not sure if that is a problem

mgmcc 16:04 25 Jan 09

Yes but can you actually open files stored in the XP PC over the network with the Vista PC? If the network path isn't found when you try to set up the printer, I would have expected there also to be a problem in accessing files over the network.

nilefish 20:00 25 Jan 09

Yes I have a problem accessing files over the network

mgmcc 20:48 25 Jan 09

Have you definitely set at least one folder in the XP PC as "shared" by right clicking it and selecting the Sharing & Security option?

What firewall software are you using in the XP PC and how has it been configured to allow access to networked computers?

nilefish 16:46 26 Jan 09

Yes I did select on folder on XP as shared and setup my anti virus to allow access through network computer, but cannot access the folder from other pc

mgmcc 19:52 26 Jan 09

If you go into Vista's "Network" (My Network Places) and type the path to the XP PC directly into the address bar using the format...

\\computername

or

\\computername\sharedfolder

...does it find the XP PC's shared items?

rdave13 20:33 27 Jan 09

1.) Verify that File and print sharing is turned on and properly configured on the XP machine.

2.) Open the the shared location of the printer (Shared Printers folder) on Win XP FROM YOUR Vista machine

3.) On the Vista machine launch the "Add a Printer" wizard

4.) Choose "Add a local printer"

5.) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the drop down menu

6.) Press Next

7.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the shared folder path from 'Step 2'.
(e.g. \\WinXP\PrinterSharedFolder)

8.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk" button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in list. It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.

9.) Press next

10.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the default.

11.) Press Next

12.) Print a test page to verify functionality.

13.) Press Finish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac