share my adsl connection ???

grabster 22:09 21 Mar 03

Well i finally got rid of my ntl 600k service because of inumerable problems and im waiting for my new "pipex" adsl BB service to be switched on,thing is my daughter who lives next door has been at me to connect our pc's together to share the connection.
she has been advised that a simple network cable will suffice as long as my pc is switched on but as she would be a bit on the nocturnal side a separate cable would be required to enable her to use it while my pc is off.
The distance involved woud be approx 15 mts and i would run any cables on the external wall.
I run windows xp and the other pc runs windows me.
If someone could advise on the simplest way i could achieve this i'd be eternally grateful.
Many TIA.

Legolas 22:34 21 Mar 03

If you use a router to connect the two computers then your computer will not need to be on, you connect your computer to one of the router ports and then connect the modem to the router and lastly connect your daughters PC to the router and she will be able to share without your PC being on.

powerless 22:38 21 Mar 03

Windows ME cannot see a Windows XP NTFS partition. So if you would ever want to file share. The Windows ME computer will not be able to grab files on the XP machine.

You would have to change the Partiton to FAT32 on the XP Machine so the ME computer can grab files of it.

grabster 11:21 22 Mar 03

Thanks for the replies,
Would a router be the best option ie: only one cable ? and as far as file shareing goes i only intend to share my internet connection, i dont wish to set up a network as such.
Come to think of it i suppose it would be handy if she could access my printer as well.

graham 11:33 22 Mar 03

Not sure Pipex would approve you sharing the ADSL with your neighbour, whether your daughter or not!

grabster 11:42 22 Mar 03

I didnt realise that would be an issue,surely how i use my connection is up to me ?

Forum Editor 11:43 22 Mar 03

You will be in breach of your agreement with Pipex if you share your connection with another, separate, dwelling. You can share the connection with another computer at the same address, but you must not run a cable to the next door house, it's expressly forbidden by the terms of the agreement.

The relevant clause says you must not:

"redistribute, encumber, sell rent, lease, sub-license, copy or use the Service or otherwise transfer rights to the use of the Service to any third party, whether in whole or in part".

What you're planning would constitute 'redistribution', and my advice is that you don't do it. Other ADSL providers have disconnected users for doing just the same thing.

grabster 11:50 22 Mar 03

Guess that saves me a few quid on the router then.
I never was one for reading the small print.
Any further replies on the subject would be welcome though,purely for research purposes obviously.

tenor 11:54 22 Mar 03

Er-If you happened to be using wireless networking,and your daughter happened to be in range---

grabster 11:58 22 Mar 03

Mmm... bit pricey though.

Forum Editor 12:04 22 Mar 03

the wireless networking situation is interesting. If I'm happily working on my wireless network at home, and my neighbour surreptitiously taps into my bandwidth am I technically guilty of 'distributing' the connection?

I think not - I would certainly be prepared to argue that corner if it came to it. Giving consent for a third party to use the connection in this way would constitute a breach of agreement however, and you musn't do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…