share internet conection vista and xp

genkijen 07:19 09 Jun 07

i currently have a compaq pc running windows xp and connected to ntl/virgin broadband 10 meg.
I bought a compaq vista pc yesterday and 2 devolo plugs , which are supposed to let us share the internet and other files.
my problem is that i can only get one computer or the other to access the internet using these plugs.the other computer starts saying that there is a problem with ip address or unable to get network address.if one is working the other is not....it is very frustrating .. can anyone help?

mgmcc 08:42 11 Jun 07

Unless you are using a ROUTER, only one PC will get an IP address from the ISP and have internet access. When you install a router, it gets the single IP address from the ISP and allocates IP addresses in one of the ranges reserved for Local Area Networks to computers connected to it, most commonly a 192.168.x.x address. It then "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the network.

If you are not using a router, you can connect one PC to the internet, network the two computers and then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the "host" PC.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

RWest 17:35 02 Nov 07

I have devolo plugs too, and 3 PCs, one connected to broadband, with a Belkin modem. I've been able to get 2 of the 3 PCs to connect to the Internet simultaneously, and they work OK - bit slow, but that's probably BT broadband.

But I have a problem which sounds like yours - 'A dLAN adaptor with this security ID is not addressable..' is what it says, in spite of the fact it worked before. It's maddening and I'm hoping someone can sort it out. It is I think a software problem as sometimes I've used XP's network command to 'repair' the LAN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…