share files on wireless network

I have a philips freeline desktop, a hp laptop and a belkin wireless router. The two pcs are on the same workgroup and can access the broadband, and my documents are open for sharing, but the two pcs will not recognise each other. I have zonealarm installed on both machines and windows xp

splork 17:39 21 Oct 05

Disconnect the router from the 'net, check your Zonealarm settings, or disable ZoneAlarm and try the network then, also look in your Network Connections for the Local Area Connection, look in it's properties, click the TCP/IP Properties, Advanced tab, WINS, make sure Enable NETBIOS is ticked.

DerekR 22:41 24 Oct 05

You also need to have the Guest Account enabled on both computers for some strange reason.

splork 22:53 24 Oct 05

Handy to know, thats news to me

Tim1964 00:54 25 Oct 05

Same networking prob for me (BB OK, no file sharing).

My Netbios bit is greyed out. Do I have to click something else first?

splork 14:00 25 Oct 05

Which version of Windows? Is Microsoft Client for Networks and File & Printer Sharing showing in your Network settings in Control Panel?

If I click on the network properties, and association the network authentication shows open. There is a drop down box that shows shared. Should I click this? I have disconected the zone alarm,checked that netbios is ticked and even gone through the network setup, and ensured the workgroup names are the same, but when I open up the view workgroups after a long pause it comes up with the message " Markshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" this is the same on the desktop and laptop

splork 01:52 26 Oct 05

This might help click here
More ideas here click here
What OS are you using? And if one or both is/are NT based, what file system? NTFS introduces it's own layer of permissions/restrictions.

PaulB2005 08:34 26 Oct 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…