Share files and folders on modem router XP and ME

CLONNEN 19:45 14 Feb 05

I am using a Netgear DG834 modem router to share a broadband internet connection. The internet works fine on both computers but I would also like to set up some folders on my XP computer to be shared by the ME computer.

I have tried right-clicking on the folder I want to share and selecting Sharing and Security - Share this folder on the network but when I click on Apply I get the following error message :

An error occurred while trying to share [folder name] The Server service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time.

CLONNEN 19:52 14 Feb 05

Also I cannot see the ME computer when I go to My Network Places - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network - [Workgroup Name]

Error message :

[Workgroup Name] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

smy13 19:59 14 Feb 05

click here

Try this help article I found it really useful when I was setting up my network. The other bit of advice I got from a forum member that really helped was to temporary turn off my firewall so all the PC's could "see" each other the turn it back on hope this helps

CLONNEN 05:15 15 Feb 05

Just discovered why I couldn't turn on Sharing on any of my folders on my XP computer. Had to disable the settings on MSGTAG Status email tagging program which uses localhost as its server to send emails. Then I went to Start - Run - services.msc and clicked on OK and found the Computer Browser service and told it to Start - Hey Presto! Now file sharing can be turned on without the error message coming up.

I wonder what will happen when I turn MSGTAG Status back on though.

Haven't yet found out how to SEE the ME computer I'll do some more investigation after work today.

CLONNEN 05:33 15 Feb 05

I have turned MSGTAG Status back on and the folders have remained Shared so that's alright.

I presume the problem with seeing the ME computer is Firewall related. There are three firewalls - one hardware firewall built into the router, one software firewall on the ME computer and one software firewall on the XP computer.

I know how to disable the two software firewalls but how do I temporarily turn off the hardware firewall on the modem?

CLONNEN 19:08 15 Feb 05

I can SEE the ME computer from the XP machine but I get an error message when I double-click on the ME computer :

[Computer Name] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

I can also SEE the XP machine from the ME computer but again when I double-click on the name of the XP computer I get this error message :

[Computer Name] is not accessible

CLONNEN 19:31 15 Feb 05

Can't seem to find a way to access the Networked computers even with the firewalls turned off.

I also tried Pinging the other computer but the request Timed Out.

Any ideas?

FelixTCat 19:37 15 Feb 05

If you can see the computers from each other, your firewall settings are probably OK. If you have an alternative firewall, have you disabled the WinXP firewall?

Presumably you have made sure that they both have the same workgroup name but different computer names.

Did you allow file and printer sharing in Network Connections for the adapter you are using?

Have you set at least one drive or folder to be shared on each computer?

CLONNEN 19:43 15 Feb 05

Software firewalls are disabled on both computers.

Both computers have File and printer sharing enabled.

Both computers have at least one shared folder / drive on them.

Both computers have two identical sets of usernames and passwords set up on them in the User Accounts in Control Panel.

CLONNEN 19:46 15 Feb 05

Both computers have the same Workgroup name and different computer names. These are showing in My Network Places - Entire Network but I cannot get beyond them to the shared files.

CLONNEN 19:55 15 Feb 05

Is this any help?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\Claire>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : c1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-0F-66-31
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 February 2005 18:11:30
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 18 February 2005 18:11:30

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-03
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
?
?
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

D:\Documents and Settings\Claire>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…