share a cable broadband connection wirelessly

syho516 18:48 22 Aug 06

I have 2 computers connected together via an ad-hoc wireless network for sharing files and a printer, and one computer (running windows XP) has cable broadband access (supplied by Telewest), which I want to share with the other computer but I don't want to change the structure of my network. I use USB network adapters for the wireless connection and these work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

ade.h 18:50 22 Aug 06

If you really don't want to move to a proper routed network, then you'll need to enable ICS on the host and run the Network Setup wizard on the client. Remember to configure your firewalls to permit ICS traffic through the LAN adapters.

syho516 18:54 22 Aug 06

The computer I want to share broadband with has windows 98SE and I have tried to use the network setup wizard using my windows XP cd but it won't work.

mgmcc 19:03 22 Aug 06

If you already have an "Ad Hoc" wireless network running for File & Printer sharing, you just need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Telewest connection in the "Host" PC.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Wireless Network Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

As ade.h has said, you will need to configure any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers. As a result of using ICS, the IP addresses of the two computers may have changed, particularly if you had been networking with "169.254" IP addresses allocated by Windows.

Strawballs 19:10 22 Aug 06

If you can change them around and have the XP machine as the gateway to the net rather than the 98 machine it will be easier and all you will have to do is follow mgmcc's instructions.

ade.h 19:12 22 Aug 06

Your OP made no mention of Win 98.

syho516 19:20 22 Aug 06

My windows XP computer is the gateway to the internet and my I want to be able to access the internet from my windows 98 computer

Strawballs 19:37 22 Aug 06

Sorry mis-read your 2nd post

ade.h 19:37 22 Aug 06

In Win 98, you would probably run the New Connection Wizard (the one that sets up a new internet connection) because 98 is not fully network-ready, so it doesn't have the features that XP has, but it still supports ICS.

ade.h 19:38 22 Aug 06

Should have said: supports internet provision from an ICS-enabled host.

syho516 09:38 23 Aug 06

which type of connection do I need to create. I assume I connect via a LAN but im not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac