shall i reinstall ?

redsusan 10:18 15 Sep 08

My son has filled his pc with junk, it's running real slow .i've run all the usual ad-aware spybot reg cleaner ccleaner , i think it's tim to try a reinstall , that's what the local pc repair shop does, my question is how do i do it and is it difficult, have the original disk.
It's windows xp.
Thanks

egapup 11:41 15 Sep 08

Very easy, stick the disk in and follow the prompts, back up all the things you want to keep first.

peter99co 11:48 15 Sep 08

Take note of as many settings as possible.

This is to help to set up email etc.

Export to a pendrive if reqd your favorites/cookies to save having to start from scratch.

Your email accounts can be exported in the same way.

redsusan 12:16 15 Sep 08

Thanks i'll give it a go
Susan

mrwoowoo 20:50 15 Sep 08

This may help.
The part you want is about half way down.
click here

Pineman100 17:40 21 Sep 08

Before you perform a reinstall, just pause for thought!

First, are you going to run a Windows repair, or a full reformat and reinstall? The CD will probably offer you both.

A repair will leave your software, data and drivers intact, but it may not clear off the crap that has accumulated on the computer, and is making it sluggish.

A reformat/reinstall will give you a bright, shiny, clean new Windows, that should run as quickly as when the computer was new.

BUT... a reformat/reinstall will also destroy everything on the computer in the way of programs, data files, non-original drivers and so on. So you need to be absolutely sure that you have all of this source material, in order to be able to reinstall it, once Windows has been reinstalled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…