shadows in the screen image

nerawan 20:40 18 Nov 09

Hi. Recently I got a second hand desktop (Dell/ 512 Mb/ Pent 4) and attach it to a 4 years flat screen (15 inches) but when I watch movies I get shadows in the images, mostly on people's faces. This didn't happened b4 when I had an older Pent 3 desktop. Wnat could be the problem/.

The settings on the Display properties is for Highest (32 colours) and resolution is 1.024 x 768.( I use XP)

northumbria61 14:23 19 Nov 09

This could be simply down to a driver update required. Try the following:-
Go to Device Manager - right click "My Computer" -"Properties" - "Display Adapters" - then right click on the item displayed there and select "Update Driver Software"
Restart your PC

nerawan 21:10 25 Nov 09

the problem when I do that is that I get the wizard. If ask if can use the web to update :(this time only / always/ etc) and I say yes , I get a new window asking 2 questions; 1)Automatically (reconmend it) 2)from a specific place.

So, it doesn't do it automatically going to the web.

northumbria61 11:46 26 Nov 09

Are you saying you can't get the wizard to connect to the web to update? You could try going direct to the manufacturers website - in your case Dell - I am assuming your PC and Monitor are DELL - or your Monitor's website (whatever make it is) The manufacturers website is always the best place to start - if a driver is available there - download and install. Hope this helps.

northumbria61 11:50 26 Nov 09

click here

LINK for DELL Support - Drivers etc.

northumbria61 11:53 26 Nov 09

click here

Another LINK for you Nerawan

woodchip 11:57 26 Nov 09

could be a monitor problem, whats the monitor like on another pc?

Abel 12:00 26 Nov 09

A bit of a long shot, but have you got your speakers or a lamp too close to your monitor?

Abel

reply4reply 12:09 26 Nov 09

you need to find out which graphic utility you have
ati, intel or nvidia
each company has a graphic utility downloadable from their websites, it allows you to adjust video graphic shadows brigthness and contrast and colors

ati = catalyst
nvidia = nvidia control panel
intel = situated in, properties, advanced.

Peter 12:55 26 Nov 09

If it is TV that you are watching the "shadows" could be ghosting from a poorly aligned TV aerial.

Peter.

nerawan 18:16 26 Nov 09

The monitor is NFren, I think is German. Boughted it from Time Machines about 5 years ago. I didn't use it for a year and a half. As I said it worked well with 2 older computers but with this other ,not. The shadows appeard mostly in the skin of people when I watch movies or in photographs. It looks like a problem with the resolution but it's set at 1.024 x 768 and 32(highest) colours.
It already has a driver installed that came in a CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…