sfc/scannow will not complete on laptop

westgolf 11:36 AM 23 Jan 13

My laptop runs W/vista.When I attempt to run sfc/scannow (as administrator) it gets to 79% & then says unable to complete.There is no other message.What am I doing wrong ? The laptop seems to be working fine.I ran scannow purely as a precaution & to see it worked correctly. Thanks.

northumbria61 11:55 AM 23 Jan 13

Sometimes it is working but appears to have stopped depending on how long you waited and it is also normal NOT to give you a message. If your laptop is working fine then I can see no reason to run sfc/scannow and certainly wouldn't advise it as you could give yourself problems that you didn't have in the first place.

johndrew 11:59 AM 23 Jan 13

It may help if you looked at the file produced and/or posted it. Look here for details of the file location.

westgolf 20:08 PM 23 Jan 13

Thanks for this - but, It simply says 79% & cannot complete. No offer of a file or log file is available, any further thoughts please ? Thanks.

northumbria61 13:59 PM 24 Jan 13

The links may be a bit old but it appears you are not alone -

enter link description here

enter link description here

You could try starting up and running it in safemode - enter link description here

westgolf 12:56 PM 25 Jan 13

Thanks for the info / suggestions.I have run sfc/scannow in safe mode & its exactly the same result.I have attempted to get to a file location (as per the links)- to show where things stall, but I am unable to get any file or log of the 79% sfc/scannow. Any further ideas please ? Thanks.

compumac 14:02 PM 25 Jan 13

Have a look here http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/134257-sfc-scannow-wont-finish.html This suggests using Restore to a previous time and it does seem to have worked according to the postings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week