sfc/scannow help please

Al94 17:47 14 Dec 04

Friend havibg some problems with XP Home, I suggested running the above the check system files. When entered under Satrt - Run box, get message Windows cannot find sfc/scannow Make sure you typed the name correctly etc. It does the same on my PC, where are we going wrong?

spikeychris 17:49 14 Dec 04

You need a space after sfc....

sfc /scannow

Al94 17:54 14 Dec 04

thanks - now a black box appears briefly on the screen for about half a second abd vanishes, should the XP disc be in the drive first - sorry I am trying to keep him right over the phone, cant try here as I don't have an XP disc

spikeychris 17:58 14 Dec 04

No you dont need the disk in the drive, try this..type cmd in the run box and hit enter then in the DOS box type sfc /scannow

Al94 18:01 14 Dec 04

will try later thanks, have to go out now

spikeychris 18:03 14 Dec 04

Just make sure that he types sfc /scannow (two N's) as one "N" will recreate the problem he is having, IE: flashes on screen for a sec..

alan227 18:18 14 Dec 04

spikeychris it helps if you have the disk in as if the dll's are corrupted it will ask you for the XP disk to repair them.

spikeychris 18:23 14 Dec 04

yeah it does but its not needed at the beginning of scannow.

Al94 21:58 14 Dec 04

Thanks spikeychris, all sorted now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…