SFC/scannow errors not corrected

john bunyan 21:14 PM 04 May 13

I have been correcting eventvwr errors in W 7. One referred to a leak of registry or some such, although the PC is running ok, and it is not a red error. I ran SFC/scannow and it reported some items could not be repaired. The log file - difficult to open - was enormous. I think I will leave it, but is it easy to use the original W7 ultimate CD to repair? I am being a bit picky as the PC is running OK.

northumbria61 21:39 PM 04 May 13

It depends on what you mean by repair. If you only want to repair the startup files then yes you can boot from that Windows 7 Ultimate installer disc to repair a Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium or any edition of Windows 7 provided that they are the same version -- either 32 or 64-bits.

I have used my Win7 Pro CD on just a few occasions to repair files - without any problems.

northumbria61 21:41 PM 04 May 13

I am being a bit picky as the PC is running OK. Yes, maybe - so it is up to you if you decide to proceed.

john bunyan 21:45 PM 04 May 13

Thanks . I am on a tablet now and will be more specific tomorrow. As the warning is not red I may just leave it.

northumbria61 21:58 PM 04 May 13

John - In that case I would be tempted to leave it.

john bunyan 08:48 AM 05 May 13

Hqaving read the warning again, it seems possible that this is a clash between Avira and Malawarebytes. Too detailed to go into here but as things are working I will leave it. I am aware that only one anti virus programme should be active.

john bunyan 08:53 AM 05 May 13

Having said that it did refer to a winlogon file and when I found it in Windows explorer it said Chameleon(Programme filesx86)\Malawarebytes. I scanned it with Avira and SAS and it seemed clean.

Terry Brown 10:31 AM 05 May 13

You may have hit the nail on the head, as quite often two programs that do the same job (virus checking) will cause confusion as each tries to remove the other.

Try removing one of them to see if it cures the problem.

john bunyan 12:07 PM 05 May 13

Terry Brown

Thanks. I will try temporarily removing Malawarebytes, although it is not in my start up programme. I have SAS which I use more often.When I last installed Avira it did not "like" the Malawarebytes, Spywareblaster etc, but seems to work nevertheless.

john bunyan 12:46 PM 05 May 13

On reflection I think I will leave things as they are. On looking further into Malawarebytes I found they have a facility (Chameleon) that enables one to run a scan if you PC picks up a bug that tries to disable MBAM, a useful tool I had not seen before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off