sfc/scannow

rawprawn 17:31 11 May 03

I have just tried to run this file scan & found it told me I had other files than Windows , & I should put in the XP disc to bring the system back to normal. I did this but I got a message saying that the disc I had put in was not the correct one ( I only have the one ) It asked also for the SP1disc & I have a copy of the download. It said that this was the wrong disc, when I tried to get out & cancelled the copmputer hung & I had to switch off to abort. Everything seems to be OK, but what is happening ? any ideas?

woodchip 17:42 11 May 03

You have more than likely tried to load a Restore disc not an XP disc. it contains the above but it's one provided with software to restore your computer to as when you bought it

rawprawn 18:47 11 May 03

No, I only have one disc which is the one that Dell supplied with the machine, apart from that the only other disc I have is a copy of SP1 that I made. I'm sure that I am doing someting simple that is wrong but for the life in me I can't figure out what. It is only about 6 weeks ago that I crashed & totally reinstalled using this disc.

woodchip 19:36 11 May 03

Yes that from Dell is a Restore disc, with XP on it and software. If you do not have any files of importance just start with the CD and it will restore everything. Except any items you installed after

woodchip 19:37 11 May 03

PS you will lose E-Mail etc if you do not save to CD

rawprawn 12:14 12 May 03

Thanks, I did a repair from the cd & it restored everything so I am now back to normal. Just out of interest I ran sfc with no problems, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…