SFC/scannow

redshift300 19:48 04 Oct 10

When I use the above tool on my computer (home built) I have no problem, but when I try to use it on a purchased computer for which no disk has been supplied it will not work. The computer keeps asking for the original disk. I know there is a recovery XP program on a partition is there any way to point this tool to this partition. If not then why did Microsoft continue to include this very useful tool knowing that no one supplies a disk today when the operating system is pre installed. Is there any other program that can be used to perform the same repair function which does not require the original disk.
Many thanks in antisipation
Tom

james105051 19:56 04 Oct 10

This may help click here you may have to copy your I386 file from the recovery partition or borrow a disk and use that.

michaelw 08:27 05 Oct 10

Try this to run sfc without a cd:

You will need to tell your computer you have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and type into run cmd, then in command box type sfc /scannow (note space).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos