SFC & Win XP Home

iscanut 11:16 04 Nov 03

Ran the command sfc /scannow and seemed to proceed when I inserted XP Home CD. Took a while scanning but when progress bar got to the end, dialog box cleared then..NOTHING. Does this suggest that no errors were found ? If there had been errors, would I have get a suitable message as to what to do next ?

powerless 11:22 04 Nov 03

I know i mean you get it to run and you get nothing...How rude ;-))

Err...

Go to start, run and type:

eventvwr.msc

Click ok.

Click APPLICATION (or it maybe SYSTEM i forget) and under "Source" look for "Windows File Protection". If there are only two entries it means 1) it was started 2) it finished.

If there are any more, than sfc /scannow did something, just double click to find out what it did.

This is something I have often wondered.

I've always assumed that if it got to the end without any messages that everything was okay.

I'm sure that somebody else will be along shortly to give a more difinitive answer.

powerless 11:24 04 Nov 03

I wish they would hurry up ;-)

Thought somebody would answer this.

Thanks.

Taran 11:36 04 Nov 03

No, it just ends without any please sir, thank you sir or anything else.

To date I've not run sfc /scannow on any Windows XP box and had a message to the effect that there were files being replaced.

Until I do get that message, I'll assume that either nothing was replaced on those systems I've run it on or that anything that needed replacing was dealt with accordingly and without the need for user intervention.

On the old Win9x platforms you had the option to replace (or not) any files found that had been altered. I'd imagine that this is part of the Windows system files protection built into XP, that the need for the user to get involved is no longer an issue and that when you tell sfc to get on with things, it does.

I'm happy to be contradicted on that point if anyone knows differently of course, since this is based on my assumption of the process involved.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5