sfc /scannow with XP sp3

isca2 10:24 26 May 08

Have not had to try it yet, but how does this scan work with SP3 as my original Win XP cd is only SP2. If and when you are prompted to put your CD into the drive, how will the scanner deal with the updated files from sp3 ?

Technotiger 10:37 26 May 08

I don't SP3 should make any difference to sfc /scannow ...

Technotiger 10:38 26 May 08

Ooops - missing word = I don't think SP3 etc...

Zak 10:41 26 May 08
  isca2 10:45 26 May 08

Thanks Zak, the article in your second link is exactly the issue. Having Sp3 does make a difference.

Zak 11:07 26 May 08

You are welcome. Please note that the first link towards the end deals with matter and is straightforward:

"What about Windows Updates.....
You may be asking yourself how does sfc.exe know how to check for updated Windows system files? Well during OS upgrades, service pack installations etc.. the dllcache folder should be updated with these new files.

As an example the recent Windows XP Hotfix - KB828035 updated the system file wkssvc.dll A new version of the file was placed in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and a copy in the cache: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache A copy of the old system file is archived in: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB828035$

There is another location the Windows File protection service uses and that is the I386 folder in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles When you install a service pack, like SP1. Any new system drivers are cached in this location too.

If you have odd problems with running scannow sfc and nothing else in the article has resolved it, then take a look at the entry in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup
\ServicePackSourcePath

This should be pointing to the location C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles (assuming C:\ is the boot drive.)"

Technotiger 11:17 26 May 08

Very interesting - bookmarked! Never too old to learn - thanks Zak.

Smiler 11:49 26 May 08

You need a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…