sfc\ scannow ? Windows XP

Gaz 25 22:49 15 Jun 03

Hi,

I wish to ask some questions.

If I have a copy of XP, then I added the Service Pack 1 can I still use my XP discor do I need the updated files from the SP1 disc? Or do I need to reinstall SP1?

In other words, I had XP, then added SP1, if I run sfc\ scannow which disc do I need, if the XP one will I need to reinsall SP1? (P/N: The SP1 disc is purely SP1 not a copy of XP but I have an full XP disc without SP1)

And....

Will it solve hangs when browsing folders?

I browse folders on one of my system, then when I open the folder it sometimes will crash but somes around again and in Event log shell or explorer.exe stopped unexpectidly and windows restarted the shell and explorer.exe.

Will sfc\ scannow solve this?

If not what will? (A repair of XP is last resort please as it is a OEM PC)

Regards,

Gareth
Gareth

powerless 23:32 15 Jun 03

No you need to do nothing. There is nothing *documented* on doing anything because of SP1 on the sfc /scannow command.

You need your XP disc.

It could solve hangs when browsing folders. Only way to know is to run the command.

hugh-265156 23:37 15 Jun 03

oem pc if you just have a recovery floppy.you dont need to instert any disk at all.

Gaz 25 10:54 16 Jun 03

I have an XP disc and a recovery that came with it.

Does anybody know from experiance if it will solve a hang when browsing folders in My computer, sometimes I only have to click on My computer and it crashes but does come back.

Regards.
Gaz25

©®@$ђ 10:59 16 Jun 03

copy and paste the exact error you get..

you can find this on the details tab when the error pops up, or in event viewer

©®@$ђ 11:14 16 Jun 03

did you upgrade from a previous version of windows if so have you got norton cleansweep installed

©®@$ђ 11:20 16 Jun 03

click here

there seems to be some intresting info to follow on there, have a read.

Gaz 25 12:52 16 Jun 03

No the PC came with XP, and I have no Norton products on this system.

I think the google groups could be of some use, but it is blocked by websense at work.

Anyway.

More info is welcome.

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 12:57 16 Jun 03

When I am at home again I will post the details on the error, which only shows in Event viewer.

Gaz 25 12:58 16 Jun 03

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. EXACTLY.

I have Dreamweaver on the PC, could this be the cause?

Gaz 25 13:07 16 Jun 03

My Problem is here:

click here

Can you help me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…